How to create Attribute Sets in Magento 2?
Creating product attributes and attribute sets are an essential part of the Magento system. The store owner should create the Product Attribute first and then create the product attribute sets. Before creating the attribute set, we need to know what the Attribute sets are.
What are the Attribute Sets?
An Attribute set can be defined as a list of attributes, where all the characteristics of a product are demonstrated. The attribute set is used as a template for a new product, and every product must belong to a specific attribute set which is helpful in the following cases that are given below:
- To divide the products into multiple groups.
- The traits of a product are collected in a single place.
- The needed information about a product can be imported in a single step.
The attribute set determines the fields, which are available during the data entry, and the values that appear to the customer. In short, attributes sets are the collection of the attributes, which will be visible to the store owner while creating a new product.
Firstly the store owner needs to create a product attribute and then create a new product attribute set. Magento 2 has its default attribute sets where product attributes are the generally used selection, e.g., Name, SKU, Description, Price, etc.
Create an Attribute Set in Magento 2
To create the attributes set, follow the below steps:
Step 1: Login to the Magento 2 Admin panel and Go to Store >> Attributes >> Attribute Set.
Step 2: Click on the Add Attribute Set button at the top of the right corner to create a new attribute set.
Step 3: Specify the name of the attribute set and also select the existing attribute set, which is to be used as a template. By default, “Default” is set to the Based on the field to be used as a template.
Step 4: Click on the Save button and continue with the next page, which will be visible like the below screenshot.
- The left column shows the name of the attribute set. This name is for the internal reference, and it can be changed as needed.
- The center column shows a list of the current selection of the attribute groups.
- The right column list is the selection of the attributes, which are currently not assigned to the attribute set.
Step 5: To add the new attribute to the attribute set, drag the attribute from the Unassigned Attributes list to the appropriate folder, in which you want to add the attribute in the Group column.
When completed, click on the Save button. Here we added brand attribute just below the price attribute.
- Groups refer to the number of organized attribute sets. For example – If the name of an attribute is Meta information, it will contain the attribute like Meta description, Meta keyword, and Meta title.
- Unassigned Attributes contains the list of those attributes, which are currently not assigned to any attribute set or group.
To create a New Attribute group
- In the Group column in the center of the Attribute set, click on Add New button.
- Enter the Name for the new group and tap the OK button.
- Now, we can do either of the following:
- Drag the Unassigned Attribute to the new group.
- Drag the attribute from any other group to the newly created group.
The new group becomes a section of attributes in any product, which is based on the attribute set.
How to apply Attribute sets while creating a new product?
If you want to use the attribute set which you have created to Magento 2 products, then follow the below steps:
- On the left of the Admin sidebar, Go to Catalog >> Product.
- Choose the product type which you want to create from the Add product drop-down list, such as Simple Product.
- From here, select the required attribute set. So, when the groups for a specific product contain the same set of attributes, they come up in the product information panel as sections.
Here, we have selected Attribute Set 1 rather than Default in the Attribute Set field. So, the Brand attribute is added to the product information panel for input.